Lost Dignity Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My days now revolve around Thursday

Go down

My days now revolve around Thursday Empty My days now revolve around Thursday

Post  tinalovedvd Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 pm

every Thursday at 9:30 on NBC is the Office, the best show to ever hit American primetime. it's the sort of comedy that is so subtle and hidden, but that's what makes it so funny. absolutly every single character in Californication on dvd the show is perfectly cast, from main characters like Michael and Dwight to "side" characters like Kevin and Angela. each character is also very real, they're the people you expect to see sitting at a cubical. along with it's grade-A comedy, it's also worth watching each week for buy CSI:Miami season the developing story. each character is very deeply developed, and you grow to love Married with Children 1-11 collection series each character. (except for maybe Michael, who is the result of every annoying boss rolled into one). theres also a few twists and turns thrown into the plot (i wont give these away though). go buy this dvd now, and watch season 2!
Ok, so episode one sucks and is a total rip off of the britsh version. Ignore that. Totally. Then watch the next episodes. After the mistake of the pilot, this show completely becomes its own thing. And it is now the funniest show on television. Michael (Steve Carell) is perfect as the boss who is most of the time a total jackass, but has those moments where you feel bad that he is what he is. Dwight (Rainn Wilson) is SO Married with Children season box set 1-11 great and wonderfully played with his little offside glances at the camera. He is a different version of Gareth that works (and in Ghost Whisperer 1-5 set a less perverted manner). Jim (Jon Krasanski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) are perfectly cast as the wish-we-were-a-couple with sexual tension so tight you could snap it like a rubberband. Jim is really my favorite (I'm actually kind of in love with him) and does well as the guy who wishes he could get his life together and have a dream so he wouldn't work a paper company, but doesn't know how. The "minor" characters are hardly minor and sport tons of their own great moments. I could just go on forever. There are also great quotes, such as:"I have been Michael's number two guy for about five years, and we make a great team. We're like one of those classic famous teams. He's like Mozart and I'm like . . . Mozart's friend. No, I'm like Butch Cassidy and Michael is like Mozart. You try and hurt Mozart, you're gonna get a bullet in your head, courtesy of Butch Cassidy." --DwightIt really doesn't get better than Doctor Who boxset complete that.
It's tempting to write a review of this TV show by comparing it to the BBC counterpart, but honestly this show can stand independently on its own without drawing any comparison, so why bother? This disc has the obvious complete first season and standard commentaries that almost every TV on DVD now come with; what sets the DVD apart from other TV DVDs are the deleted scenes; each episode has about 10 minutes (maybe a little more); and the deleted scenes aren't done sloppy just to fill space either...each one could have survived if they put them into the episode. Clips of these deleted scenes are available on the shows website, but there are dozens more on the disc. The show itself is hilarious...anyone who works at an office buy Breaking Bad seasons 1-3 will know why.
you can blast the show as much as you want but it will still remain one of the funniest most addictive shows on television. the characters are so close to real life it's scary, and the boss is an arrogant, no nothing jerk - like every boss. the camera play is hilarious jumping from personal interviews to punchlines, and the comic timing is dead on. here's what you can expect from the dvd...× includes 5-10 minutes of deleted scenes (per episode)× includes episode commentary× includes 6 episodes× episodes are all in widescreeni never watched the bbc version so i guess i have little to say about compares and contrast, but the us version is very well done.
OK, so it isn't your typical sitcom with a rehearsed laughtrack indicating when a show should be funny...IT DOESN'T NEED IT! Anybody with a sense of humor and a pulse will find themselves LAUGHING out loud at this show! Each character brings something unique to the show unlike any other sitcom since SOAP! Steve Carrell is a genius in his role as Michael Scott, and for those of you that love the British version, not to worry, there are no parallels other than story lines! PLEASE give this show a The Closer complete try! With Arrested Development being cancelled, I feel I'll have to on-demand Curb Your Enthusiasm for my weekly dose of political incorrectness. We can't wait for season 2 to come out on dvd!TUNE IN....TUESDAY NIGHTS at 9:30 Rome boxset dvd on NBC. Don't let them cancel this too!!!!!
The problem with "The Office: Season One" is not with the show itself. Steve Carell, who broke through big-time in 2005 with not only this series but his feature Gilmore Girls boxset 1-7 seasons film "The 40 Year Old Virgin", leads a fine ensemble cast in this documentary style comedy about the daily business practices of a Pennsylvania-based paper company. It's a witty, frequently funny, and sometimes painfully honest look at the way Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles set season 1-2 a boss treats his employees. No, the problem once again lies with the DVD's distributor, Universal. This is a brand new show, yet the episodes on the DVD seem to have a murky, bland appearance, unlike the episodes which are seen weekly on NBC. I complained about this problem with the "Miami Vice: Season One" DVD, but at least you can justify that somewhat because the episodes were from twenty years ago. Universal, what are you DOING? Please take the time and effort to put out a better DVD set. Of the extras available, there are a generous amount of deleted scenes from each of Season One's six episodes, but no bloopers, which is a Eureka seasons disappointment. I don't know if Universal actually listens to their customers, but when I go out to buy Season Two of this excellent show on DVD, they'd better show some marked improvement. The fans deserve better.
Whenever a U.S. network tries to remake a popular British sitcom it almost always fails. Roseanne's take on Absolutely Fabulous never saw the light of day, John Larroquette's version of Fawlty Towers was dreadful and the more recent attempt to remake Coupling was an embarrassment. So, the U.S. makeover of the brilliant and hugely popular Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant Britcom, The Office was met with a certain amount of jaded cynicism (and in some cases, outright hostility). There Monk 1-8 dvd boxset was no way that they would be able to capture the original show's blend of uncomfortable humour and spot-on observations of human behaviour in a soul-deadening 9-to-5 office environment.There was a glimmer of hope in that Gervais and Merchant had given the show their seal of approval and, more importantly, that Gervais' inept office manager's U.S. counterpart would be played by none other than Steve Carell, a memorable regular on The Daily Show and a scene-stealer in Bruce Almighty and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.Let's face it, if anyone has a chance of replicating the clueless insensitivity of David Brent it's Carell and he does a pretty good job of filling Gervais' shoes. Carell just has a naturally funny presence that makes what he does and say very entertaining. He Seinfeld complete series dvd box set isn't afraid to look stupid or in an unflattering light. He is fearless and willing to play his role to the hilt as evident in the "Diversity Day" episode when Michael recites a memorable Chris Rock routine to hilarious effect.The rest of the cast does a fine job with their respective roles but anyone who has seen the original would agree that none of them compare to their U.K. counterparts. However, as the season progresses, they seem to be breaking away from their archetypes and developing their own unique traits. It should be interesting to see what directions they take in the next season.There are deleted scenes for all six episodes that give some of the peripheral characters more screen time.There is an audio commentary for the "Pilot" episode by cast members Steve Carell, John Krasinski, Rainn Wilson and B.J. Novak. They all talk about how nervous they were going into this production, especially having to do a script reading in front of Gervais and Merchant.Also included is an additional commentary for the same episode, this time with Heroes season box set Krasinski, Wilson, Novak, actress Jenna Fischer and executive producers Greg Daniels and Ken Kwapis. Fischer talks about how she was cast and the process. She was told to dress conservative and bore the casting director.There is an audio commentary for the "Diversity Day" episode with Carell, Krasinski, Wilson, Novak and Daniels. Like the other tracks, this one is conversational in nature as everyone cracks jokes and recounts anecdotes of filming this episode.There is an audio commentary for "The Alliance" episode with Krasinski, Wilson, Fischer, Novak, Daniels, consulting producer Larry Wilmore, writers Paul Lieberstein, Mindy Kaling and Michael Schur. The writers talk about how they got the job and the audition process. For the amount of commentators for this episode it never gets too chaotic.Finally, there is an audio commentary for the "Basketball" episode by Carell, Krasinski, Wilson, Novak and Daniels. They shoot more footage than what airs so that some scenes can go on longer but they only have 22 minutes of screen time on network TV, hence the deleted scenes section on the DVD.
If you want someting new, something fresh, something different; The Office, season 1, is for you! Not incorporating your regular "set up and punch line" comedy, this show will definatly have Nip Tuck series box set you laughing out loud. Michael's self-obsessed attitude is always funny, Dwight rules all, and every other character is as lovable. This is only a one disc set, being only their 1st season, therefor it is reasonably cheap.....and seriously worth every penny!! Buy it! you will be addicted in no time! * * * * *
By far the best comedy on television--the only show that I truly laugh out loud watching! I've never seen the original The Mentalist boxset dvd BBC show but you definitely don't have to have seen that show to appreciate this one. You will watch these episodes over and over!!!
I have never seen the British show, so I was starting with a clean slate on that. But I was a big fan of Steve Carrell, from the Daily Show. I tried watching the pilot episode when it first aired, and was unimpressed. I didn't watch the rest of that first run of shows, because I just forgot that it was on. At the end of this summer, I was reading a TV reviewer's Star Trek The Original 1-3 season boxset column, and he mentioned this show again as a hidden gem. I decided to give Steve Carrell a second chance, and have been watching the second season and enjoying it quite a bit. Then, I stumbled across the first season DVD, purchased it, and am now craaazy about this show. The Diversity Training show is so funny that I was guffawing alone. The actors are so amazingingly deadpan, and there is no laugh track, so this is just amazing. I am completely hooked. The Basketball episode, similarly, is absolutely classic. My hat is off to this series, and I extend my deepfelt apologies for not sticking through the first episode when it originally aired!!!
Very rarely do TV Networks remake shows based off foreign equivalents. However, due to the popularity of the UK version of The Office, NBC decided to take a gamble with this remake.And it paid off in spades.The season starts of at a slow, albeit still hilarious pace. The first episode is a nearly word-for-word carbon copy of the UK version's first episode, but they do it well. The US version is a short 6 episodes, but in those 6 episodes you can literally watch as each actor or actress grows from imitating their British counterparts to forming their own characters. This is especially prevalent in Michael Scott (Steve Carell). At the outset of the show, it is clear Carell is trying to imitate Gervais's style and mannerisms, but Carell quickly forms his own version of Michael in the show; Carell makes Michael a more dubious, sympathetic boss rather than the UK version's boisterous, oblivious one. You can really feel as if Michael is trying to be a great boss, but ultimately falling short.Pam (Jenna Fischer) and Jim (John Krasinski) were probably born for these parts. The immediately hit it off and create a perfect chemistry on the set. There's really not much more you Prison Break season series can say on the subject of the two, they're just perfect in their roles and play them fantastically.Rainn Wilson is absolutely amazing as Dwight.The season grows into its own through the 6 episodes, and grows on to you. Everybody Loves Raymond dvd season 1-9 This is not the UK Office. This is a very different show. It may have near-identical scripts for some episodes, but the actors make the show, not the script. The US Office is an absolutely amazing and fun show, and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a fun, lighthearted comedy that doesn't rely on laugh-tracks.
As an avid fan of the original BBC series, I initially had little interest in watching this American remake. After a friend forced the DVD on me, I changed my mind. While it is not as wonderful as the original (few things are), it is still a fine adaptation. With the exception of the very first episode, each show maintains plots that differ from the original, thus giving the series a unique edge which makes it seem less like Six Feet Under 1-5 season set a mere copycat.Oh, and the deleted scenes on the DVD are HILARIOUS.
Being a fan of Steve Carrell ever since he was on "The Daily Show", I made sure Burn Notice dvd 1-3 series to give this show a try. The pilot episode was decent, kind of up and down, but the second episode, "Diversity Day", was the one that got me and my wife hooked. My wife literally fell off the couch she was laughing so hard! I am so happy that NBC gave this show a second chance; it has to be only a matter of time before the general public catches on. Hey, "Seinfeld" didn't immediately take off either. Everyone I have recommended this show to has thanked me for letting them know about it, as I kind-of made it my personal mission as it didn't have the best ratings, and it was up against so much unnecessary backlash from the worshipers of the English version It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia set collection of the show. I couldn't wait to buy the DVD, and everyone I have let borrow it just absolutley raves about the show! There are a lot of deleted scenes on the DVD that I know were left out of the various episodes simply due to time restraints, as most are just as hilarious. This DVD is a keeper, bar none!
I haven't seen the BBC version. I think it'd be helpful to other Americans who haven't seen the British version to read a review that looks only at this show and its merits.I consider this to be the funniest comedy on American television right now. However, it takes a specific kind of Desperate Housewives complete 1-6 box set sense of humor to appreciate it. Much of the humor is derived from awkward pauses, and much of it has to do with the main character's obliviousness to his own prejudices and failure at comedy.I was hooked after I saw the first episode, but the first episode is actually the worst. They really jumped into it, taking risks with the jokes in the second episode on. (I hear the first episode was almost word for word copied from the first British episode. That would explain why subsequent episodes were better--the actors had more freedom.)This DVD collection is excellent. Usually, deleted scenes are deleted because they aren't funny, but on this DVD, all the deleted scenes are as funny as the rest of the show, and there's almost ten minutes worth for each episode.Four stars, because the price is a tad high for only six episodes.
The Office, Season 1 Seinfeld boxset series 1-9 is great! Very funny, and the deleted scenes are an awesome bonus. Highly recommend it if you're a fan of the show!!
I know many people who stopped watching The Office after the Pilot because they thought they were only getting the same scripts with different accents. And that's a Castle series complete 1-2 shame. Because as the show progressed, it started finding its groove. The actors started developing Star Trek Deep Space Nine dvd set 1-7 a chemistry that was independent of their UK doppelgangers. Yes, some scripts were still derivative, like "The New Girl," but as long as it's not cancelled after the first 2 weeks of the second season, if people find it or give it that second chance, I think they'll be thrilled with the results. Obviously, I can't comment on the technical aspects of the disc like some of the plants around here do. All I can say is I already burned most of the episodes on DVD-R, and I'm still buying the collection.
I too am a converted "Office" fan. I thought no way could it compare to the UK version...but now on it's 2nd season, I would almost say it exceeds it. The office side characters are hilarious and Jim is a cutie! I also love the temp, Ryan, who always has to silently tolerate Michael's stupidity. Can't wait for Season 2 to come on dvd. Love it!!
Any denizen of any corporate office in America will relate to the many funny and wince inducing moments in this series. It does a masterful job of creating a generic version of pretty much any typical corporate office, large or small. After spending many years in such an atmosphere, I often felt like someone must Desperate Housewives complete 1-6 set have been trailing me around at work and making note of the many absurd and scary moments of my typical office day.The character that really steals the series is Michael. Though he's broadly drawn and says and does things that one would think would lead to an immediate firing, he is certainly Criminal Minds complete season 1-5 representative of the bane of every corporate employees' existence: the clueless and oftentimes callous boss. Steve Carrell is masterful in this role and does a great job of portraying a man who is so out of touch with how his employees think and feel about him that it's painful to watch at times. Sadly, it seems that many a corporate boss is every bit as out of touch as Michael and that's what really makes Desperate Housewives complete collection the character speak to me.The romantic tension between Pam and Jim is also very enjoyable and also emblematic of your typical office atmosphere. cheap Star Trek Voyager dvd What corporate employee hasn't watched and gossiped about the romantic goings on of his or her coworkers? The two have a very believable chemistry and the subtle little dances they do around one another seem very sincere. Their dialog is very natural and funny, though it doesn't always produce positive results.The timeliness of this series is really remarkable. I was especially struck by the recurring theme of downsizing rumors, particularly because I'm working for a corporation that will be doing a good deal of downsizing in the near future. I could really relate with the Dunder Mifflin employees as they asked Michael to tell them whether or not they were going to be out of a job while he did his best to evade the question. I thought it was the perfect characterization of the corporation versus the employee. The bottom line is that the business is there to make money and that this often renders the employee dispensible. These people have lives and families to support but they're not given a straight answer because the corporation is more interested in seeing who can impress them the most. They are treated as little more than trained dogs.I also could very much relate to the episode in which the new health care plan selection takes place. What company doesn't trumpet its benefits, even when they are as abysmal as the plans that Dwight wants to choose. And what corporation hasn't tried to worm its way around confidentiality rules? I vividly remember the day a former boss of mine tried to wiggle some confidential information out of me regarding which medications I'd been prescribed for a chronic condition from which I suffer.This is really a well done series and the six episodes on this disk only left me longing for more. I can hardly wait until I can get my hands on season 2.
If you love political incorrectness the way I do, you will love this show. By far the best new sitcom to come along in years. If you work in an office, the absurdities will make perfect sense to you. The show is a little slow at times, but the best parts more than make up for it. Great extras contained here too. Can't wait for the new season to start!

tinalovedvd

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum