Lost Dignity Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic tv & successful translation

Go down

Classic tv & successful translation Empty Classic tv & successful translation

Post  tinalovedvd Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:54 pm

I was a HUGE fan of the BBC Office before the NBC version came out. I was so disapointed when I reached the end, knowing there would be no more story. I was thrilled when I heard there was a new version coming. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive with an American translation becuase too many times Brit humor does not convert well to the States Monk box set dvd 1-8 (Nick Hornby). So it was a great relief when A. it was hilarious...and B. NBC renewed it for a 2nd season. My God the diversity day episode is an all-time classic tv moment. It captures all the guilt and awkwardness involving race in America. When I heard they were releasing a dvd set of the "1st season" I was a little leary. There's only 6 freaking episodes. I was glad to see them only charging 20 bucks for it.
I can watch this over and over and giggle every time. Great cast and the best comedy writing out there.
The Office is hillarious. And with all of the extras they put on the dvds, it's like you're getting extra episodes. I highly recommend it.
When i first saw this show on tv i One Tree Hill set 1-7 season wasn't a real big fan. it took a few times before it grew on me. however, now i love it!the show certainly revolves around steve carell, but the rest of the cast is amazing. there's a real good mix of characters with their own quirks and diverse personalities. on top of that, it's like someone made a series out of the classic movie, "Office Space", but with a different cast. also, in this case, Carell is the Bill Lumberg of the show.also, if you work in an office or cubicle, the situations will be very familiar to you. watch this show and laugh.
This really is the best comedy show on TV right now. I have seen both the British and the American versions and both are completely hilarious in their own ways. Seeing Michael Scott (Steve Carrell) doing a Chris Rock bit had me in tears. The characters are believable and realistic South Park 1-13 seasons boxset yet crazy as you never know what they're going to say next. If you want a good laugh you will not regret buying The Office.
Okay, so the US version of The Office has taken a lot of knocks from many sources, rather undeservedly. Yes, it is a remake of a UK show, but to kick it just for that is to be woefully ignorant of an excellent, surprisingly well written comedy. The first episode is painful and DeadWood season 1-3 the only direct copy (other shows in this season borrow a few ideas but never as much as the first episode) and as such, it is the weakest - this is a problem as many will judge the show based on this and watch no further. Mistake. What started as a remake that had the hallmarks for a typical overseas mess up of an innovative idea has grown swiftly into a superb show. It surpasses the tag 'remake' Skins collection seasons 1-4 and becomes it's own entity, finding it's feet more as the first season progresses and bursting into life in the second season. The characters are very loosely based on their British counterparts but with differences that become more obvious over time and the gulf between the two shows widens. Michael Scott is a very different character than David Brent, so to compare the two and dismiss the US show on that basis is crazy - Scott is never meant to be Brent, he is his own sad, flawed character and is all the better for it. Given the choice, Michael Scott would be the more tolerable person to be trapped in a lift with :)Michael Scott is a more tragic character, portrayed beautifully as sad, lonely, and desperately needy on a level that Brent never was. Brent was pathetic at times, even pitiable but there is an air of pathos about Michael Scott that invokes more emotion than Brent ever could. Brent was intelligent in a limited way, but more wilful and strong and arrogant. Scott is bright, but his arrogance is more based in self delusion and an often touching oblivion. He is more childlike than Brent and where Brent would get angry and hurt by criticism, often lashing out verbally, Scott goes into almost desperate denial, trowelling polyfiller over the cracks in his personality to hide the hurt that is often uncomfortably visible in his eyes. As such, Michael Scott is a far deeper and complex and CSI:Miami 1-8 season set therefore, a much better character than David Brent although it takes until season two forthis to really sink in.Scott's brief flashes of genius are few and far between but just Breaking Bad 1-3 complete dvd enough to give the character an interesting depth, belying the superficial, arrogant idiot that he appears on the surface. Similar in a way to some of the redeeming moments for Brent where we suddenly get a glimmer that he isn't really that stupid/bad and these moments are hold-your-breath nuggets of genius, Season 2's 'The Client' is one of these. Jim and Pam's relationship is closer and more engaging and Dwight is delightfully toady with a creepiness tempered with a devious, calculating nature that makes him fascinating to watch...rather like a horrible insect. The supporting characters are all strong and engaging and become more than just pale sudo copies Scrubs dvd 1-9 collection of the UK show. In fact the entire thing plays much more of an ensemble piece which makes for more entertaining viewing. Fringe set seasons I would disagree with people that typically dismiss Dwight as a psuedo Gareth - they are quite different characters and Dwight is certainly more intelligent and complex. In fact, the whole series and characters have progressed to points that it is impossible to really compare the two incarnations properly. I pretty much think that the naysayers should get over it - the shows are very different entities now... The UK series is more realistic, more of the innovative documentary style that it was meant to be, underplayed, etc...whereas the US show is more comedic Ugly Betty dvd season 1-4 with inventive, (often genius) varied situations but with less grit, although it is still intelligent, clever and charming. You get more laugh out loud moments in the US show because it isn't played as gritty-real as the UK one, but it is no bad thing, in fact, it is more often than not, preferable. It only emphasises the widening gulf between the shows as the US one stands on it's own and blossoms. I would recommend this completely, although don't be put off by the first episode. Season 2 is Oz set 1-6 complete outstanding and far better than this season, but it is an early treasure. Give it a chance, get them all and prepare to bury your face in your hands and cringe and laugh and hit rewind to make sure you really did hear that. Smile
i've never seen the british version, but this is genius. i had loved the original series and was highly dissapointed when it only lasted 6 episodes. when i saw this in a store, i was also dissapointed when the special features list was "deleted scenes, commentaries". however, when i put the disc in, i discovered 7+ minutes of hilarious deleted scenes for each episode. the commentary is also awesome, and although it is complete Californication dvd set only available for 4 of the episodes, there are 2 seperate comentaries for the pilot episode. my favorite line from all the episodes (including the ones we've seen of the second season so far) is when michael is talking to toby Rome collection season 1-2 in the diversity day episode:"This is supposed to be an environment of The Tudors series boxset 1-4 welcoming. Now you should just get the hell out."
An extremely funny look at office relationships. You will see people you work with and recognize all their (and maybe your own) foibles.
it's an instant classic. i would not be surprised if it was cancelled,because it is too sophisticated of a show. it reminds me of police squad in the 80's with Leslie Neilson. the lack of a studio audience makes it even better. i wish it was a hour long show
The Office almost didn't succeed. It wasn't because it wasn't funny (it is), wasn't well-acted (it is), or due to poor reviews (critics loved it); people were too afraid that it would pale in comparison to the British series of the same name upon which this show is based. Also, it is a very different style of comedy, which is a huge turn-off to people who are comfortable with the numerous (read: cookie cutter) sitcoms that flood the airwaves each year Oz seasons collection (Arrested Development fans know what I'm talking about). Anyway, with only a 6 episode first season, things looked pretty grim. Fortunately, the show was able to stay on the air long enough to win over a respectable fanbase, and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles boxset dvd 1-2 now it looks like it will be here for a while. But about that first season...The Office is an extremely innovated show; it is shot as a documentary, and the writers really outdid themselves to keep that whole motif going. Characters recognize the existence of the camera, gesture to it, try to hide from it during embarassing Oz 1-6 dvd season moments, and there are "confessional" scenes where the characters speak to the camera one-on-one. While we don't know Californication store why someone wanted to make a documentary about the inner workings of a paper company in Scranton, Pennsylvania, we're sure glad they did.Heading this branch of the Dunder Mifflin paper re-supplying company is Regional Manager Michael Scott (Steve Carell). Michael is completely clueless in nearly every way possible. He doesn't understand when he is being racist/sexist/homophobic, he can't seem to grasp that he isn't as hilarious as he thinks he is, and even though he feels his people skills are tremendous, he is a very lonely man. Other series regulars include Jim Halpert (John Krasinski), a salesman who doesn't care that his career is going nowhere, Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson), a power-hungry sicophant who has even worse social skills than Michael, Ryan Howard (B.J. Novak), a temp who has recently started at the office, and Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer), the bored and soft-spoken receptionist. Jim has a secret crush on Pam, who is marrying a guy who works in the DM warehouse, though they have been engaged for 3 years, and there is still no set date for the wedding. One of the main reasons Jim is still at Dunder Mifflin is to be near Pam. Jim and Pam are good friends and partners-in-crime in a sense, as they constantly pull pranks on Dwight, who is as gullible as he is vindictive. Dwight is a by-the-book salesman who does everything Michael tells him to do in hopes that he will one day assume power. Michael doesn't really like Dwight, but he exploits Dwight's lust for power in order to use him for things that he himself would prefer not to do. In addition to the characters credited in the opening credits, there is a large cast of secondary characters, many of whom are played by the show's writing staff. Oscar Martinez (Oscar Nunez), Angela Martin (Angela Kinsey), and Kevin (Brian Baumgartner) are the firm's accountants. Other workers include Kelly Kapoor (Mindy Kaling), Meredith (Kate Flannery), Stanely Hudson (Leslie David Heroes complete season Baker) Phyllis (Phyllis Smith), Toby (Paul Lieberstein), and Creed Bratton (playing a parody of himself). Each character has their own unique and bizarre personality, adn they each contribute something to the show.A lot of the humor The King of Queens season 1-9 dvd on the show is derived from the uncomfortable situations caused by Charmed dvd boxsets Michael's ineptitude and awkwardness. In addition to the hilariously terrible things that Michael says and does, the characters' reactions are priceless. For example, in the episode "Diversity Day", Michael makes all of the workers address each other using racial stereotypes, and the way everyone complies is great. Pam tends to get embarassed, Kevin comes up with random comments ("Maybe some spaghetti!"), and Jim often smirks at the camera.While I don't feel that The Office was the best comedy on television (Arrested Development, I miss you so much! And Scrubs, so unerappreciated), but it is very close. Sex and the City 1-6 complete series It is a show that must be seen to be believed. Steve Carell is priceless as always, and Prison Break seasons complete 1-4 the rest of the cast is great as well. Make sure you clock in on time.
Since Arrested Development was cancelled, only two shows are even worth making time for: Gilmore Girls, and The Office. The first season of The Office is hysterical, and this disc includes a few good bonus features as well. If you have seen the BBC version, you'll notice that the first episodes are nearly identical. Steve Carell is a comic genius, but John Krasinski steals the show as Jim, the young and sardonic sales rep who is a foil to neurotic Dwight. If you have ever worked in an office, you will identify with the bizarre personalities, petty slights, and corporate mumbo jumbo. This is a season you'll want to watch all at once, and then watch it all again a Family Guy 1-8 series boxset week later.
There are very few DVDs I buy because I know I won't want to watch them more than once. The Office doesn't fall into this category - I'll watch it until my DVD breaks. It's constantly funny.A must buy & I'm selling my iPod so I can buy season two. Just kidding. But I would. Seriously.
I saw a few episodes of the BBC version, and was not to enthralled with it; but this one just had me in stitches the whole time! The actors are exceptional, I really felt as if they were striving to Family Guy seasons 1-8 sale be as true to real life expressions as possible. I was mightely impressed!
I don't know the best way to describe this, except for using only one word: hilarious. I won't compare the british to the us, when you look at any episode past the first 2 or 3, the two are completely different. Different character development and types of humour. They both use similar ways to get the joke across, panning to jim/tim when dwight/gareth says something completely...well, dwight/garethish, but the plots are different, and so too are the character types. It will be a classic for years to come, all due to the comedic genius of bj novak and the acting abilities of every cast member
One of my co-workers introduced me to this show and every Thursday I'm amped to see a new episode. I got this DVD to play catch-up and figure out the relationship with Jim and the receptionist, but found myself deciding that Michael Medium series 1-6 is even more insane than I thought he was. All of the episodes were good, but when he did the Chris Rock impersonation, tears fell on my cheeks from Monk dvd boxset laughing so hard. Classic entertainment. I love this show, every minute of it. The bonus scenes were great too!
Season One of the Office was light in buy Nikita seasons 1-5 quantity of episodes but heavy in laughter. Watch the BBC version and then this version make up your own mind which you like better. But for my time The Closer 1-5 season collection the American version, the cast, and the chemistry could not be better. This is fantastic comedy!!! Particular favorite episodes are Diversity Day and Basketball. There is tremendous acting that goes on in this series. Every actor has a role that they seem born to be in and they deliver some fantastic performances. The actors are very believable and if you've ever been in an office environment you can really identify the personality types. You find yourself thinking "I worked with someone exactly like that". Steve Carrell is great Merlin season box set 1-2 as Michael Scott, he pulls off performances that will definitely earn him an emmy in the future. Deadpan comedy at it's best. Can't wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD.
OK I should start by saying I have still never seen the original version of this show, but I can honestly tell you it is my new favorite show. I watched the audio commentary in special features and it really makes you appricate it even more. A lot of what they do on the show is 24 hours complete 1-8 collection either ad-live or thought up by the actor/actress playing that character. I recommend this show for everyone, espically those that have office jobs. A++++
You won't regret it. Must own it.

tinalovedvd

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum