Lost Dignity Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The show went way downhill. Don't watch this season.

Go down

The show went way downhill.  Don't watch this season. Empty The show went way downhill. Don't watch this season.

Post  tinalovedvd Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

The writers really dropped the ball. None of the actors have the same characteristics that they used to have. I loved the first 5 seasons, but I hate this one. I'm not going to bother watching season 7.
Some of the most boring, and downright ignorant, refrains I hear from my fellow Brits deride the American sense of humour. "they just don't get it", "they have no sense of irony", etc etc, even while we laugh our asses off at the simpsons. Rarely have such opinions been shouted more loudly and indignantly as when the news surfaced that The Office, not only the funniest but also one of the most soulful BBC shows ever, would get a "remake" for American audiences. I myself must admit to finding it impossible to imagine the drama transposed to a different culture, so fully realised and "definitive" were the plot and characters in the original.In retrospect it seems we were so involved in the vernacular of British buy Star Trek The Original season 1-3 office life (perfectly captured), and the development of the individuals that we were perhaps blind to the universal themes and types that are portrayed, and which could easily find resonance and relevance in a different culture. As it is, full marks to the writers and director Weeds seasons 1-5 boxset for having the confidence to take these themes and characters without seeking to ape CSI:Miami set seasons 1-8 everything about the BBC version, thus allowing the show to retain both integrity and identity. As others have mentioned, the weakest episode in this first series is undoubtedly the first, where the debt to the BBC version is most obvious and the product most laboured. Comparison is inevitable, but where the US show loses out slightly (ultimately, despite his best efforts,the Carrell can never match up to Brent of the BBC version) it gains in other areas (this allows his co-actors to retain their share of show; in the second UK series in particular Brent overshadows everything else about the programme, while other aspects stagnate slightly, before a triumph of quality TV in the concluding Christmas specials.)If there is one piece of advice that the writers CSI:Miami dvd sale of this excellent interpretation ("remake" is to harsh a word) should take from the British series is to keep it short. One of House MD box set season 1-6 the reasons why The Office will forever keep a place in the hearts of British audiences comparable to Fawlty Towers or This Life is that Gervais exerted his artistic integrity and refused the offers of extending it into an ad-infinitum sitcom of the Friends variety, where novelty can only be retained by constructing scenarios of decreasing plausibility. Gervais was correct in perceiving that the reason why audiences kept coming back was the underlying plot-spine that was the frustrated romance of, in the British case, Tim and Dawn. Once this was resolved the series had reached its conclusion.
Like most other fans of the great BBC series THE OFFICE, I was absolutely horrified when they announced that they were doing an American version of the show. Ricky Gervais's show was so perfect, so unique that it didn't seem possible for it to be successfully translated into an American context. Also, the show was unimaginable without Ricky Gervais, who was both the creator and lead performer of the original. Oz dvd 1-6 box set And to be honest, when the American show straightforwardly imitates the original, especially in the first episode, it compares rather badly. The jokes were tailored perfectly to Gervais and his cohorts, and they just didn't translate all that well to the new set of actors. However, once you get past the first episode, and the American crew produces original material, it actually becomes a very, very funny show. In fact, if you have seen the BBC version, I would recommend just skipping the first episode of the American version and going on from there. My other complaint with the imitation is that they straightforwardly stole the British theme song, though they did pep it up a lot.If you haven't seen the American It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia boxset 1-5 series version but have seen the BBC original, the first question is almost certainly going to be: how can they possibly do the show without Ricky Gervais in the lead? Does Steve Carell manage to make us forget Ricky? Well, not quite. There is absolutely no question that Ricky Gervais's David Brent is better than Steve Carell's Michael Scott. It isn't just that Gervais has a degree of ease with the role that Carell barely lacks: David Brent is a more complex character. While it is certainly true that Brent was a complete ass, he was also a lovable ass; we cared about him, and despite all of his blithe self-ignorance he is someone for whom we are on some level rooting. But Michael Scott, while incredibly funny, is essentially a lost cause. He is too complete an idiot to have any hope of redemption, and he is also fairly unlikable. Irredeemably unlikable. We laugh at Michael Scott, but we laugh with David Brent. That is the bad news. The good news is that while Carell's character is not as likable as Gervais's, he is possibly about 90% as funny, which means that the American show is Frasier seasons 1-11 collection quite unexpectedly a very funny show. Once the show gets into original material, it is actually quite good. The second episode deals with diversity training (i.e., racial sensitivity training), with Michael Scott attempting to take How I Met Your Mother 1-5 set seasons over the training by injecting such stupid sensitivity questions as, "Name another race to which you are attracted to sexually." The irony is that the only reason the training was instituted because of racially charged jokes Entourage set dvd 1-6 Michael had told, but he remains blissfully ignorant of the fact that he was the one being targeted. Another great episode is the one where Michael and the white-collar workers play the warehouse workers in a One Tree Hill complete 1-7 dvd game of basketball. Michael ignores the overweight white guy (who later turns out to be a dead shot) and the Hispanic guy (who is also a dead shot) in favor of the office African-American, who turns out to be a simply horrendous player.I have to add that those who are giving this one star are clearly fans of the original who have never bothered to watch the American version. As I pointed out above, while it isn't quite as good as the original, it is nonetheless quite good on its own merits.
i can't even describe just how hysterical The Office is. Its not only the most hysterical Californication collection 1-3 set entertaining tv show ive seen, its amazing how they created it so that its like a tv show and a documentary at the same time. i would like to thank the creators of The Office-which includes a couple of the actors themselves- for creating the most entertaining television show i have ever seen.
I would give this show 10 stars if I could. It's pee-in-your-pants hilarious. A refreshing break from the politically-correct focus-group analyzed slop that makes up most TV sitcoms. You don't have to have worked in an corporate office to recognize the characters here, although it makes the show even funnier if you have. Everyone Battlestar Galactica 1-4 season complete I know loves this show, pick it up if you can.
I am and always have been a huge fan of British comedy. The wry sense of humor and the intelligent wit has always held far greater appeal to me than the cheap/obvious laughs that many American sitcoms tend to go for. Sadly, many copies (or attempted copies) of British comedies have been overadapted for the American audience (Coupling is a perfect example) and the result is a weak translation that loses all or most of what made the series so funny/original in the UK.Fortunately, this version of the original UK show is absolutely hilarious, perhaps because the producers are tied closely and stay faithful to the original version. There was How I Met Your Mother collection series 1-5 no dumbing down of the comedy - the irony, the facial expressions, the unbelievable audacity of the characters - for the sake of easier/louder laughs. The fact that there is no studio audience here makes it even funnier - the viewers are left to laugh on their own, without canned tracks or cues from a studio audience.While there are certainly things that would cause you to think "There's no way a manager would say/do/get away with anywhere near that bad of behavior" I can say that in 6+ years in leadership development that I've seen all this and more.. and we all know that one person who just has absolutely no clue how little others think of him/her.This is truly brilliant comedy, but subtle and atypical when compared to other sitcoms on TV (with the exception of Seinfeld reruns and Scrubs). You won't be disappointed!
Although I am a huge fan of the British original (understatement) I think the U.S. version is great. Michael Scott is no David Brent, Skins dvd complete season as someone said above, but he's very funny, and some of the supporting players are even funnier than their BBC counterparts. The DVD has deleted scenes that are geniunely funny, and the commentaries are pretty good too! I wish they hadn't aped the British pilot, because that really did get it off on the wrong foot. The U.S. version stands on its own, and it's a hell of a lot funnier than almost everything else on network TV.
Yes, everyone here is comparing this to the British version of The Office (a great show). I was horrified to hear the US was going to copy it. I was curious and watched the first episode and wasn't crazy about it. I almost gave up but kept watching. The show really grows on you. DO NOT compare this to the British version! They look the same on the surface, but the shows are totally differnet. Its so refreshing to see an original show like this on TV. I've actually laughed so hard I cried. The best part is that the 2nd season is even better. Don't forget, Seinfeld DeadWood dvd season and Friends were BOTH nothing shows their first season. Give it a chance...and try not to compare it to the British version.
Saying this show isn't funny when compared to the BBC version is like saying oranges don't taste good because they're not like apples. Sounds pretty stupid, right? Then you get my meaning. The Office is hilarious. Does Steve Carell overdo it or go over the top at times, absolutely...but I think that's part of who his character is.Anyway, I'd never seen this show until today. Before that, I'd 30 Rock collection 1-4 complete totally written the show off because I assumed that Steve Carell would be rehashing his 40 Year Old Virgin routine (I know, I know...it's sounds lame, but a lot of stars do it, so I thought he'd do the same thing). Let me tell those out there that were in the same boat as me, it's so not true. I happened to be at my parents house and saw a copy of season one sitting in my sister's bedroom. I was curious, I popped it into my DVD player and, well, I've been laughing ever Castle box set 1-2 seasons since. As a matter of fact, I'm laughing as I type this.Those that think the show is centered around Carell are totally wrong. Some of the funniest aspects of the show revolve around other people. Whether it's the ongoing office war between Jim (John Krasinski) and Dwight(Rainn Wilson), Jim's attempts to win over the engaged Pam (Jenna Fischer) despite constantly being shot down, the temp (B.J. Novak) getting...well...the temp treatment, or Michael's (Carell) abuse of power and his oblivious/insensitive behavior toward his underlings, it's all sure to have your sides splitting when you see it for the first time. Diversity Day, Basketball, and Hot Girl are golden episodes in my opinion. I haven't seen any episodes of season two, but I'll be sure to grab that DVD set when it comes out along with my own copy of season one. I highly recommend checking this stuff out.
This show is by far one of the funniest comedies on tv. Steve Carell is a comic genious. He single-handedly takes this show to new dimensions of comedy - I have never laughed so hard watching an actor on tv make such a spectacle of himself, in a setting where such behavior is so obviously out of place. And this is precisely what makes this show so hilarious - the awkward moments coupled with the hilarious behavior of Steve Carell's character. Plus, the show takes place in an office, which is a very relatable setting to many of us. Office politics have never been funnier. You must watch this show.
Even if they cancel this show midstream in season two, I'll be glad that I stumbled upon it in the middle of the first season's run. As for the BBC version, I never saw it UNTIL I saw the American Angel dvd boxset version. I am now a huge fan of the BBC version, but I am unable to see why I have to like one OR the other.Steve Carell is fabulous as the main character, and he's NOT supposed House MD 1-6 collection boxset to be a carbon copy of Gervais' character in the BBC version. Steve brings his own tremendous talents to this show, and he creates his own character.It's the awkwardness of the situations in this show that makes it funny, and it's the nearness to reality that makes it hard not to squirm in some of the scenes. We've all either had bosses with a tenuous grip on reality... or some of us might have been a boss like that. In which case, I would imagine there are those that just might not see the humor in this show.This is a gem.
NBC's "The Office" is a winner on all fronts. Unlike some sitcoms, the zany and original characters are just as important as the plots. You'll probaby recognize someone you know in Jim, How I Met Your Mother 1-5 box set season the guy who's too smart for the job he's got but afraid too move on, or, if your not as lucky, you might be more familiar with Michael, Scrubs dvd sales the homophobic, racist, sexist, egotistical boss who rules over the employees of Dunder-Mifflin and is under the impression that he is everybody's best friend.Season 1 is even less like a typical sitcom than Season 2. The first episode is a little slow, with no clear focus like most episodes have. Later on, though, this season picks up speed, featuring some of the best episodes of the series. Haven't seen the "Diversity Days" episode? It's worth the price of the DVD just for that one.Fans romantic comedy will also find a home here, in the budding relationship between salesman Jim and receptionist Pam.Younger kids won't get this, and even some teens may not catch all the references. Altogether though, The Office is Bones series set a highly reccomendale show for plenty of people. I started watching at Season 2, and this DVD really helped me appreciate that more.
Ricky Gervais' "The Office" is one of my favorite television series. Nothing beats the deadpan British humor offered in the original series; extremely funny and brilliant writing. When NBC picked up the show, I grimaced, thinking back to horrible mistakes such as Coupling. But, thanks to a quick DVD release, Entertainment Weekly's glowing review, and Steve Carrell's hilarious turn in "The 40 Year Old Virgin", I gave it a shot, and found myself laughing hysterically.Steve Carell plays Michael Scott, boss extrodinaire of "The Office". He is clueless, Chuck series dvd brainless, sexist, homophobic, racist, all under a disguise of political correctedness that has gone astray. He prides himself the office comedian, but fails to understand that his role as boss should supercede this role; therein lies the genus of the comedy. Carell does an admirable job in the Gervais role, and probably is the only actor that would be daring enough to step in those big shoes, and clomp around the office in them just as funnily. He doesn't attempt to impersonate Gervais, but makes Scott his own.The other office mates, from Jenna Fischer's charming Pam, the office secretary, to Rainn Wilson's role as Dwight Shrute (a name that deserves to be said aloud), all turn in great performances to accompany Carrell. The interaction between Shrute and office stud Jim (played by John Krasinski) is a gold mine of comedy, the two actors play off each other brilliant, and The Big Bang Theory 1-3 complete series unlike the precessor, Shrute is occasionally allowed to win, even though he's the office buffoon.This comedy is quite, yet rich. If you've ever had a boss in your career that is clueless, and you wonder how on earth that person ever got to where they were (who hasn't?), you can relate Friends 1-10 seasons dvd to the hijinx and comedy of NBC's "The Office". If I were NBC, Nikita box set dvd 1-5 I'd be making sure this stay on my lineup, and perhaps, even reduce the number of episodes per season, allowing this fine troupe of performers the ability to produce the high quality of shows that these wonderful six are!
Yes, I was kinda disappointed with the pilot episode, but I kept watching since I knew future episodes would deal with original scripts (the pilot was, more or less, the same script as the UK pilot). I'm glad I did...the second episode showed more promise, and by the 6th episode, everyone was hitting full stride. Along the way, there were several moments that were faithfully reminiscent of the uncomfortable (but hilarious) vibe of the UK version. Steve Carell's character might not be David Brent, but that's a good thing...it'd be pointless trying to do a carbon-copy of the immortal Brent, so it's refreshing that Carell puts his own stamp on the lead character (the obnoxious Michael Scott). In addition to the first six episodes, there's nearly an hour's worth of deleted scenes, mostly on par with the material that made the final cut. Good stuff. The commentary tracks are entertaining, too...not necessarily groundbreaking, but a nice addition. The NBC version sometimes doesn't quite capture the psuedo-documentary look of Chuck 1-3 box set complete the original, and occasionally it does cop out with typical sitcom humor. But overall, NBC's The Office is quality comedy, and I'm eager for the second season...
Check it out. Michael Scott, played brilliantly by Steve Carrell, is regional manager for a paper supplier. He says the absolutely worst Heroes seasons 1-4 cheap thing to say in every situation. Very funny, somewhat dry humor. Michael's sidekick Dwight, the "assistant" to the regional manager, compliments his boss perfectly. Potential office romance between Jim, the top salesman, and Pam, the cute receptionist, add spice to the plots. A one-of-a-kind show -- a MUST see.
I have never seen the BBC original, so I'm not burdened by the curse of comparison. As far as South Park collection 1-13 seasons I'm concerend, The Office is the freshest, most intelligent and straight out funniest show to play on television for some time (with the The Big Bang Theory 1-3 collection dvd possible exception of "Scrubs"). For anyone who has worked in a similar setting, the characters of The Office are instantly recognizable and dead-on accurate. Steve Carrell is terrific and the rest of the cast are just as superb. I disagree with those who criticize the Michael Scott character as too over the top or completely irredemable. Michael Scott is in fact all too real, and as the show develops, so does the character. He may be a clueless boob and deserve to be alone, but in the episode where he hopes to drive the purse saleswoman home, only the most heartless can't fill a little sympathy for him as he watches her get in Jim's car. This is a compilation that I personally intend to buy soon.
Jerk-stores who like something, and think because it's a little bit eccentric or off the beaten path, that anyone who modifies it at all is somehow taking something away from the original. The british version is funny. The american version is funny. So to all you mopey nerds who say you don't like this show because americans shouldn't try british comedy, please eat it. This show is funny as heck. And just because it's going mainstream in this country doesn't mean you can't still have your special fringe party in your mom's basement while you watch the old version, confident that you're unique and special and that only you really get the high-brow, dry british humor.

tinalovedvd

Back to top Go down